Twelve New Zealand films will screen at the 2018 New Zealand Film Festival in China being held in Beijing, Ordos and Chengdu, and should be seen by up to 10,000 people in 48 screenings in China over the next four weeks.
The twelve films, including eight features and four short films, have won Official Selection for this year’s New Zealand Film Festival in China (NZFF China). The 2018 NZFF China will have its opening Reception and first Premiere Night screening of PORK PIE in Beijing on 17 April during the Beijing International Film Festival and will run in that city from 19 to 20 April.
The NZFF China then travels to Ordos City in the Inner Mongolia Province with a Premiere Screening of PORK PIE on 18 April where it will run from 26-29 April, and then Chengdu in Sichuan Province, where there will be a Premiere screening of THE CHANGE OVER and 3 MILE LIMIT on 21 April from 3 to 6 May.
The Official Selection was made by the China Film Bureau in conjunction with the New Zealand Organizer, the Pacific Culture and Arts Exchange Centre Chaired by Jim He. Established as a biennial event in 2002, this will be the 9th NZFF China. Previous NZFF China events have been broadcast extensively on the CCTV-movie channel reaching a China-wide audience.
Michael Stephens, Wellington film and entertainment lawyer and honorary adviser to the Festival said, “This year we are looking forward to showcasing a diversity of New Zealand films across a wide range of genres and featuring a number of our emerging talented Maori and Pacifica filmmakers. I congratulate all the directors, producers and cast and crew involved. Without exception, they have produced great and engaging films on often very limited budgets. Their selection for the New Zealand Film Festival in China confirms the growing reputation of our independent filmmakers and the New Zealand film industry in China.”
NZFF China Festival Organiser Jim He said, “The Festival provides additional exposure for these films, many of which have won selection to other International festivals.
“More importantly, the Festival helps boost New Zealand’s profile in the largest growing international market for the New Zealand’s film and digital entertainment sector.
“I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all those involved in making this Festival possible including the Filmmakers and their Distributors, Sponsors and the great assistance of the NZ Film Commission Staff involved.”
The Festival is coordinated by the Pacific Culture and Arts Exchange in conjunction with support from the Film Bureau of the State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio Film and Television of China and the China Film Archive.
THE 2018 NZFF CHINA OFFICIAL SELECTION OF FILMS
The feature films:
- PORK PIE: Director, Matt Murphy & Producer, Tom Hern
- THE CHANGEOVER: Directors, Miranda Harcourt & Stuart McKenzie; Producer, Emma Slade
- 3 MILE LIMIT: Director, Craig Newland & Producer, Craig Newland
- ONE THOUSAND ROPES: Director, Tusi Tamasese & Producer, Catherine Fitzgerald
- THREE WISE COUSINS: Director, Stallone Vaiaoga-Ioasa & Producer, Wilhelm Voigt
- KIWI CHRISTMAS: Director, Tony Simpson & Producer, Tim Sanders
- THE STOLEN: Director, Niall Johnson & Producer, Emily Corcoran
- CHRONESTHESIA: Director, Hayden Weal & Producers, Steve Barr & Kelly Kilgour
The short films:
- POSSUM: Director, Dave Whitehead & Producers, Paul Murphy, Dave Whitehead & Sadie Wilson
- CRADLE: Director, Damon Duncan & Producer, Luke Robinson
- UTU PIHIKETE: Director, Craig Hutchison & Producers, Craig Hutchison & April Phillips
- RESTORATION: Director, Tim Tsiklauri & Producer, Nicola Peeperkoorn